In partnership with the Australian government, we’ve introduced a range of initiatives that can help lower your risk and maximise the benefits of employing skilled people.
The new JobTrainer initiative, combined with Skilling South Australia (SSA), represents a significant co-investment by the Australian and South Australian Governments in a skills-led recovery following the impact of COVID-19.
From recruitment assistance to on-the-job training packages, apprenticeships and staff retention mechanisms, we’ve made it even easier to grow your business. Subsidised training, low-fee courses, and additional funding for tailored business growth initiatives are all available under our historic investment in skills and training.
Click below to see the range of financial incentives and subsidies.
Responding to a change in business activities during COVID-19
If changes to your business activities in response to COVID-19 have impacted on your capacity to employ and train your apprentice or trainee, you can consider:
- the use of leave entitlements such as annual leave, if your apprentice or trainee has this accrued.
- unpaid leave if your apprentice or trainee does not have available leave entitlements for the whole or partial time that COVID-19 business restrictions are in place.
- off job training. This could mean online training and your apprentice should speak to their training provider. As an employer, you will need to continue to pay wages for time your apprentice spends in attendance at training.
- reduced number of hours of work, if your apprentice or trainee is still able to work through COVID-19 business restrictions, but the demand or nature of work has changed. Apply to change the hours of your training contract.
- a suspension of the training contract may be appropriate as a last option. A training contract suspension, allows you to recommence your apprentice’s work and study when COVID-19 business restrictions are lifted.
The Department is available to answer any questions you may have in relation to a training contract and can provide advice around government support for training, the suspension of a training contract, payment of wages and the number of hours agreed to for the term of the training contract.
You can also obtain further information and advice about your circumstances by calling 1800 673 097 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.